Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Religulous

First of all, I admit that A) I have yet to see Bill Maher's film, Religulous, and B) I am inclined to believe and support what I imagine is his main thesis: that organized religions are inherently flawed by their very human designs. Yet I don't trust the sanctimonious, especially when it comes to spiritual matters; those people who speak with an authority utterly compromised by their own humanity.

And that would include the stridently atheist as well as the pompously religious. Given Mr. Maher's celebrated atheism, he would be equally as conspicuous for his cynicism about organized religions as a devoutly religious man might be for his strident professions of faith. "How can you possibly know for sure?" is a question you could put to both people. The devout would respond, "....because the Bible told me so...", or some variation thereof. I am sure the Hindus, Buddhists and Muslims all have a similar answer.

The atheists would reply, "Because it violates all we have come to know and understand as physically possible in our world.", or some variation thereof. It is quaint that anyone today would submit blindly to a doctrine, or dogma and claim faith, or custom or tradition or some ancient talisman as the cornerstone. Yet I respect anyone who has a religious belief, because I have no right to challenge or question something so deeply personal.

And perhaps that is the larger point: that religion is something to be treasured as an intimate connection between you and the "whatever you choose to call it / him / her". Celebrate with others, by all means. But the moment the state or an organization intervenes and layers on arcane rituals, promises, threats, indulgences, bureaucracy and so on; well that is where I come down on the side of Mr. Maher.

That kind of organization pollutes and contaminates anything spiritual. How much more ridiculous is the polytheism of the ancient Greeks than Christian monotheism. Given all the evils loose in the world, and all the inexplicable horrors that have claimed innocent people throughout history, "Well the Lord works in mysterious ways." is a fairly lame explanation. Similarly, the person who derides faith or religion as merely "an opiate of the masses", or as something to be ridiculed is equally as odd.

"There are no atheists in fox holes." Having never served, and never been in combat or in a life threatening situation I cannot speak with authority on this, but I am sure that is true. I wonder of Bill Maher's atheist beliefs would be tested if he were about to die in a combat zone, or if he were aloft someplace and his plane suddenly went into a tailspin and seemed about to crash.

'The man who has everything figured out is probably a fool. College examinations notwithstanding, it takes a very smart fella to say “I don't know the answer!”' (Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind).

That would of course include Mr. Maher. So how can we know for sure? Is there a god. Are there gods? Are they benevolent? Or are they malevolent? Is there a Heaven and a Hell? Who can say for sure? It is the great mystery of life. When I think of death and the possibility of an after life I prefer not to dwell on judgement, eternal rewards for a pious life and infernal damnation for sinners. I prefer to think of Richard Strauss' "Beim Schlafengehen" (from his "Vier Lezte Lieder"), a sublime piece of music; the rough translation of the lyrics is:

"Now I am wearied of the day; all my ardent desires shall gladly succumb to the starry night like a sleepy child. Hands, stop all your work;brow, forget all your thoughts;all my senses now yearn to sink into sleep. And my unguided spirit wishes to fly up freely into night's magic sphere to live deeply and thousandfold."

Actually I prefer the phrase "....to soar freely in night's magic circle." (another translation), but since I cannot speak German- I cannot speak with any authority on the accuracy of the translation .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home