Sunday, July 05, 2009

The History Channel

For want of anything better to lament about or deplore this evening, I turn now to an old favorite: the History Channel and its conspicuous omission of anything to do with history. If there were an award for the most mis-named TV channel, it would have to go to the (so-called) "History Channel". Why don't "they" simply sell the domain name (for a handsome profit- even in this economy) and re-name the channel?

To what? I haven't the slightest idea. A glance at today's and tomorrow's offerings will give those of you not already "fed up" with their programming an idea. Between "Ice Road Truckers" (little or nothing to do with history) and Monster Quest (absolutely nothing to do with history) there is nothing else to watch. Ax men and programs about UFOs are also a staple of History Channel programming.

The other day I dared to think there was something worth watching on the History Channel and tuned in to find yet another worthless program- Modern Marvels; this time the scintillating subject was "corn". No. I am not joking; an hour devoted to corn. I remember one not long ago (saw, not watched) on cotton candy. I recall when the History Channel was nicknamed "the Hitler Channel" because so many of their programs were about WWII and about Hitler in particular.

What is this now? Revenge? I do not want to watch programs on "Hitler's Madness", "Hitler's Menace", "Hitler's Killers", "Hitler's Family" ad nauseum; but neither am I interested in the "time-fill" programs. To be fair, I can see how some people would be interested in Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men (I guess) but these programs have no place on the History Channel. Is it unreasonable to ask for more programs on WWI, the Korean War, the Renaissance, the British empire and so forth? Please?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home